Re: 23.0.60; wrong glyph widths of some Unicode codepoints

From: Torsten Bronger
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; wrong glyph widths of some Unicode codepoints
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 09:00:42 +0200

Hallöchen!

Kenichi Handa writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, Torsten Bronger
> <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> The sub/superscripts (e.g. ⁴ or ₃) are narrower than the ordinary
>> characters if using a monospace font (monospace-13 in my case),
>> with the exceptions of ¹²³.  The same is true at least for the
>> prime character ′.  The right arrow → and the cubic root ∛ used
>> to have a "correct" width, but with the recent Emacs, it is too
>> wide (the cubic root even too tall, too).
>
> Please type C-u C-x = on normal ascii characters and those
> problematic characters and check which fonts are used.

Unfortunately, another issue with the current CVS version was a
blocker for my particular case, so I switched back to an older
version a couple of minutes ago.  Hmpf.  My current Emacs version
(which displays the sub- and superscripts with correct widths) says

     dejavu sans
mono:pixelsize=17:foundry=unknown:weight=regular:slant=normal:width=normal
(#x6A6)

> By the way, are you sure that your monospace-13 font has glyphs
> for all of them.  In my environtment, monospace font is actually
> mapped to "bitstream vera sans mono" and that font doesn't have
> glyphs for those characters.

It's the same here.  However, the sub/superscripts used to work
until recently, see above.

> In such a situation, it's difficult to expect to see them with the
> same metrics as others.

If the adjustment of glyphs from different fonts is not feasible, I
must and can live with it.  But it's certainly a useful thing to
have in my opinion.

Tschö,
Torsten.

                                      Jabber ID: address@hidden