Re: font-log

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: font-log
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 13:03:32 +0200

"Robert J. Chassell" <address@hidden> writes:

>     I find it perfectly reasonable.  "nil" does not mean "don't log
>     the fonts" but rather "the font-log contains nothing yet".  As you
>     say: just like buffer-undo-list.
>
> As a user, I pay attention to the command, `font-show-log', and
> figure that the variable follows it.

Variables have DOC strings for a reason.

> The variable `buffer-undo-list' is wrong, too; nil should turn the
> feature off not on.

Logging is on iff (listp buffer-undo-list) is t.

> I understand the list contains nothing until you enable it; but that
> is irrelevant.

The list must contain nothing _after_ you enabled it.  And that is
relevant.  So it is natural to mark the list as inactive by not making
it a list.  t accomplishes that.  nil doesn't.

> Fortunately, neither variable is evaluated often and their default
> global values can get away with being t.

The default global value for buffer-undo-list is nil.