Re: 23.0.60; wrong glyph widths of some Unicode codepoints

From: Kenichi Handa
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; wrong glyph widths of some Unicode codepoints
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 21:25:40 +0900

In article <address@hidden>, David Hansen <address@hidden> writes:

> Not that it solves any Emacs devel related problems but maybe the this
> specific usage problem...

> On Fri, 23 May 2008 16:55:53 +0900 Kenichi Handa wrote:

> > Ah!  "dejavu sans mono" and "bitstream vera sans mono"
> > happen to have the same metrics.

> For the "common" characters they are the same.  The DejaVu fonts are
> just the Bitstream fonts plus additional glyphs.

Ah!  But, then why does fontconfig put higher priority to
bistream fonts?  In my environment (debian etch),
/etc/fonts/conf.avail/60-latin.conf has these lines:

                <family>monospace</family>
                <prefer>
                        <family>Bitstream Vera Sans Mono</family>
                        <family>DejaVu Sans Mono</family>
[...]

> > BTW, if you know that you want "dejavu sans mono" for them,
> > how about using it as the fallback font as this:

> Or use only the DejaVu fonts.

> BTW Kenichi:  Do you know urxvt aka rxvt-unicode?  It's a terminal
> emulator for X that claims to have good unicode support.  IMHO (not that
> I'm in any way qualified ;) it's doing a very good job in picking the
> right fonts.  It supports xft as well as old school X fonts.

I've just tried rxvt-unicode to display HELLO and
UTF-8-demo.txt.  In my environment, it seems that the latest
Emacs does better job.  But, at least, rxvt-unicode aligns
characters better.  It's perhaps because rxvt-unicode pad
some space for that.

---
Kenichi Handa
address@hidden