Problems preloading x-win.el (was: Next release)

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Problems preloading x-win.el (was: Next release)
Date: Fri, 23 May 2008 16:18:39 -0400

>>> Then that would be the solution to the problem that the X11 build
>>> does not bootstrap on Darwin.
>> Doesn't it?  I have missed the corresponding discussion, sorry.  Is
>> there some detailed info about it somewhere?

> This one.
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg02165.html

I must be missing something: this message seems to give the solution
(i.e. "increase the room for load commands").

>> If delaying the load of x-win.el resolves this problem, then maybe
>> it's a good solution.  It would be good to try and figure out what's
>> the root cause of the problem, tho, of course.
>>> It would also reduce the required STATIC_HEAP_SIZE in sheap.c for
>>> Cygwin.
>> Does preloading x-win.el make a large difference here?  If so, does
>> anybody know why?

Maybe because x-win.el causes a lot of memory allocation?

> I guess .el requires more resources in preloading than .elc.

No, the two kinds of files are pretty much identical.  But maybe
x-win.el for some reason requires a lot of resources.

> I think it's a good idea not to preload unnecessary .el at this stage.

But if x-win.el requires a lot of resources, than not preloading it will
just move those resources around, it won't actually solve the
corresponding problem.  The only way to solve the problem would be to
either not load x-win.el at all (obviously not an option if you use
X11), or to try and figure out why x-win.el uses up so much memory.

        Stefan