Re: XFLD fonts broken on w32 since around font-backend merge

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: XFLD fonts broken on w32 since around font-backend merge
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 15:14:58 +0100

Jason Rumney wrote:
Emacs now seems to only recognize that font if the slant is specified as "normal" rather than "r", and the spacing as "m" (previous versions of Emacs on Windows only used "c" and "p" here, but up until the merge of font-backend code, Emacs seemed to be happy using a font with FONT_SPACING_MONO when "c" was specified).
It turns out that only the latter is causing the failure, so I've changed the w32 font backends to report FONT_SPACING_CHARCELL for all monospaced fonts rather than FONT_SPACING_MONO.

The use of normal/italic/oblique for the slant field in font_unparse_xfld could still be causing problems elsewhere (eg there seem to be reports still open of some fonts no longer working with the freetype and xft backends, which could be caused by inconsistencies in xfld names like this, at least while XFLD is still being used as our primary format for names).