Re: [patch] use font-lock

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: [patch] use font-lock
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 10:52:59 -0400

>> Looks pretty good.  See some comments below.
>> > +  ;; Work around bug in insert-file-contents, apparently
>> Could you expand on this "bug in insert-file-contents"?
>> Maybe we can fix it.
> I think the only person who can comment on this piece is the person
> who wrote it.

Sorry, I didn't notice it came from the original code.

>> > +    (when (< (point) nxml-prolog-end)
>> > +      (goto-char (point-min))
>> > +      (nxml-fontify-prolog)
>> > +      (goto-char nxml-prolog-end))
>>
>> Fontifying outside of (point)...bound is likely to lead to problems.

> I think this code is okay though, since nxml-extend-region *does* snap the
> fontification region to (point-min), and nxml is written to fontify the
> prolog by moving forward over the whole thing, fontifying along the way.

I see, then please add a comment explaining it.  You could also replace
the (goto-char (point-min)) by (assert (bobp)) to make sure that
nxml-extend-region did its job.

>> > +    (when (not (eq nxml-last-fontify-end (point)))
>> > +      (when (not (equal (char-after) ?\<))
>> > +        (search-backward "<" nxml-prolog-end t))
>> > +      (nxml-ensure-scan-up-to-date)
>> > +      (nxml-move-outside-backwards))
>>
>> This should be done in nxml-extend-region instead.

> OTOH, this chunk shouldn't be there.  You're right.

Great!  I love it when I'm right!

>     (let (xmltok-dependent-regions
>           xmltok-errors)
>       (while (and (< (point) bound)
>                   (nxml-tokenize-forward))
>         (nxml-apply-fontify-rule)))

> will cause problems if the last nxml token extends beyond bound.
> nxml-extend-region ensures that it doesn't, but can we count on it?

Presumably you can count on it.  Especially since no other
region-extend-function is run after nxml-extend-region.
You could also change the code to

    (let (xmltok-dependent-regions
          xmltok-errors)
      (while (and (nxml-tokenize-forward)
                  (< (point) bound))
        (nxml-apply-fontify-rule)))

so that in case of an error, the result is to fontify too-little rather
than too-much.  This tends to be more visible, so such a bug would
presumably be caught earlier.

        Stefan