RE: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?
Date: Mon, 26 May 2008 16:29:01 -0700

> >> I know some people would hate it. ;-)
> >
> > Some? I suspect that most would appreciate it, but I might be wrong.
> >
> > If it's a toss-up, then shouldn't Emacs emphasize Emacs,
> > not Windows? As long as there is a way for users to put
> > Windows back in control, what's the harm in
> > giving Emacs the control by default?
>
> As you know we have been through this many times before. My
> gut feeling is that most users prefer consistency over very
> smart key sequences. Of course I do not mean long time Emacs
> users then, but potentially new users.

Who's to say whose gut feeling is accurate?

Whoever polls Emacs users could do so - that could help. And there is no need to
exclude either newbies or oldies. It is a general question for all Emacs users
on Windows: Do you prefer that M-TAB within Emacs be handled by Emacs or by
Windows (as ALT-TAB)?

> >> Maybe because it does not work that good with the Windows keys?
> >
> > What does that mean? Do you mean the Windows key? Please elaborate.
>
> MS documents Alt-Tab and the windows keys as special. Don't
> ask me for any links now, but I believe I have given such links
> earlier (not quite sure).
>
> To alter those keys you have to use a low level keyboard hook. Such
> beasts are app specific and where invented as a reaction to
> the critics raised against earlier mechanisms for keyboard control
> on w32. (At least that was how I understands it.)

I have no idea what you're talking about. This is about _documenting_
`w32-register-hot-key'. Please don't turn it into something else. Whatever you
mean by "special" and "alter those keys", it doesn't seem to be about
documenting `w32-register-hot-key'.

The question is not what MS documents but what Emacs should document. It is not
about what Windows should do by default but what Emacs should do by default.
It's about Emacs users on Windows. No one is proposing changing the behavior of
Windows outside Emacs.

> > And why would that mean that it shouldn't be documented?
>
> Because it does not work consistently without the low level
> keyboard hook.

What does not work consistently, without what low-level keyboard hook?

AFAICT, `w32-register-hot-key' works quite consistently and without jumping
through any hoops. I have the feeling you are trying to change this discussion
to something other than a question about `w32-register-hot-key'. But I admit
that I'm having trouble following.