Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?

From: Paul R
Subject: Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:51:19 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

> If you can't reach them, then don't worry about them. If no one can
> justifiably
> speak for them, and no one can measure them, then we must ignore them. No
> sense
> polling or speaking for the supernatural.

This is all about changing defaults. Most software use defaults to
provide an "easy-to-start-with" configuration. A software hijacking
system-wide hotkeys is not easy to start with, IMO.

> If and when they become reachable, we can ask them. Easier: let Emacs use its
> own default behavior by default, and see how many complain.

This is not the way it works. New users don't spend time complaining
on a mailing list they don't read. They just jump to the next, "easier
to start with", good looking editor.

> I don't see why Emacs wouldn't provide its own default behavior by default. As
> long as users can override it, where is the harm?

Because this setting has system-wide effect in a way. If Joe is trying
emacs, and seeing its messenger software ringing, he can't use Alt-Tab
as he always did before.

--
      Paul