Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: C-M-TAB stand-in for M-TAB, on MS Windows?
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 21:49:00 +0300

> From: "Drew Adams" <address@hidden>
> Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 09:09:53 -0700
> Cc: address@hidden
>
> > > It's not important to "activate this thing by default"
> > > (by which I assume you mean (w32-register-hot-key [M-tab])).
> >
> > > What is important is to  _document_  it.
> > > What were the objections raised to that?
> >
> > None.  So go ahead, submit a patch.
>
> Attached. I'm no texi expert, so someone please check it.

Thanks.

I have a problem with this description: it doesn't really explain what
can and what can't be an argument to these functions, and whether
there's any significance to the term "hot-key" that is part of the
functions' names.  An example helps, but a single example is not
enough to overcome the difficulty of a total lack of description of
the argument, and also of what the function actually does.  Come to
think about it, the suggested text explains even less than the doc
string does, which to me doesn't make sense (it should be the other
way around).

A few minor comments about the patch:

> --- msdog-2008-05-27.texi     2008-05-27 08:25:12.000000000 -0700
> +++ msdog-patched-2008-05-27.texi     2008-05-27 09:07:40.000000000 -0700

Please have at least one of the two file names be the original file
name (in this case, msdog.texi).  Otherwise, the Patch utility will
not be able to deduce the file to patch automatically, and will prompt
whoever is applying to patch the manual, which is an annoyance.

These should be @findex; @vindex is for variables/options.

You should use @address@hidden and @address@hidden, not
@key{ALT-TAB} or @code{M-TAB}.

> address@hidden @code{Alt-TAB} vs @code{M-TAB} (MS-Windows)
> +  For example, @code{(w32-register-hot-key [M-tab])} lets you use
> address@hidden normally in Emacs. This is effective at all levels, so,
                                ^^
Two spaces after a period that ends a sentence, please.

Finally, please include a ChangeLog entry with your patch.

Thanks again.