Re: pretest, devel and bug lists

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: pretest, devel and bug lists
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 15:01:55 -0700

On Tue, 27 May 2008, Chong Yidong wrote:
> Glenn Morris <address@hidden> writes:
> > If things sent to emacs-pretest-bug are being fed into a bug tracker
> > and sent to bug-gnu-emacs, then I would say there is no need for
> > copies to _also_ be sent to emacs-devel.

Uh... they aren't? [At least, they aren't being sent by the bug
tracker.]

> I don't think this behavior is that bad, but it does contain one
> annoying bug. AFAICT, follow-up messages sent to the bug tracker
> aren't forwarded to emacs-devel. However, if I send a message to
> emacs-devel and CC the bug tracker (so that the message is stored),
> duplicate messages are posted on emacs-devel: one from me, and one
> from the bug tracker. Is there a way to change the bug tracker to
> fix this behavior?

The bug tracker does not currently send any messages on to
emacs-devel, so this list only gets a single copy. [You *can* ask it
to send mail to -devel, but it does not do so by default.]

> > I also don't see the need for tracker control messages to be sent
> > to bug-gnu-emacs, but I'm less sure about that.
>
> I think this is harmless.

They should go to the list so that you know what is being done with
the bugs and can contravene if necessary.

> > It would also be nice if there was a statement as to whether this
> > tracker is now offical and we should all start learning how to use
> > it, or if it is still being tested.
>
> I'm pretty happy with the bug tracker, apart from the funkiness
> described above. Maybe we should move it to Savannah and begin using
> it officially. Stefan, WDYT?

Moving it to whatever machine is decided will basically need
coordination between me and whomever is administering that machine
along with the go-ahead to make it official. [Ideally I'd have a login
too, along with a debbugs user, but we can work that out.]

Don Armstrong

--
Three little words. (In decending order of importance.)
love