Re: bug#327: 23.0.60; make bootstrap fails from CVS

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: bug#327: 23.0.60; make bootstrap fails from CVS
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 18:04:41 -0500

On Tue, 27 May 2008 15:53:08 -0400 Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

GM> Teodor Zlatanov wrote:
>> Compiling /home/tzz/source/emacs/lisp/button.el
>> Wrote /home/tzz/source/emacs/lisp/button.elc
>> make[3]: *** No rule to make target
>> `/home/tzz/source/emacs/lisp/calc/calc-aent.elc', needed by `compile-main'.
>> Stop.

GM> Sorry, I don't know what is wrong. It works for me. There is a suffix
GM> rule that tells make how to build .elc files from .el files. I don't
GM> know why it works for some files for you and not others. It fails for
GM> you on the first one in a subdirectory of $lisp, but I don't know what
GM> that tells us.

The change you introduced to lisp/Makefile.in on 2008-05-21 seems to be
the problem.  If I update from today's CVS except for that file, the
bootstrap builds fine.  It looks like your changes use some bash
features, which might be the problem for me (I use zsh, I don't know
what Make invokes).  Maybe the make rules should use find or the
built-in Make iteration?  I don't know the build process at all, so I'm
just guessing.

My environment:

Ubuntu 7.10
zsh