Re: pretest, devel and bug lists

From: Karl Fogel
Subject: Re: pretest, devel and bug lists
Date: Tue, 27 May 2008 21:01:04 -0400

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> If things sent to emacs-pretest-bug are being fed into a bug tracker
>> and sent to bug-gnu-emacs, then I would say there is no need for
>> copies to _also_ be sent to emacs-devel.
>
> AFAIK messages sent to bug-gnu-emacs pass through the bug-tracker, but
> not messages sent to emacs-pretest-bug (which are redirected to
> emacs-devel instead).

One technique is for automated mails (e.g. those emitted by a bug
tracker, say, or by a commit hook) to go to their own lists
(e.g. bug-gnu-emacs@, emacs-commit@), but for any *replies* to such
mails to be directed to the main development list, address@hidden

That is, the automated systems set the "Reply-to:" header to
emacs-devel@, so that any followup discussion to a bug report or a
commit happens on the development list, where it belongs.  At the same
time, the development list not distracted with those reports and commits
that never spark a thread (while those who want to can subscribe to the
appropriate lists, to see and possibly react to the automated mails).

Whether this is appropriate for a given automated mail source depends on
the source.  Certainly, there may be some sources that should be sending
directly to address@hidden  I just offer this technique as something to
consider when all-or-nothing answers don't seem quite right.  In my
experience, doing it at least for bug-tracker emails and for commit
mails works very well; YMMV.

(Finally, for those who believe Chip Rosenthal was right when he wrote
http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html, don't worry: this
technique doesn't contradict his recommendations.  The sender is always
free to set Reply-to however it wants, and in this case the sender is
the automated system.)

-Karl