Re: face-remapping patch

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: face-remapping patch
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 22:21:00 +0900

David Reitter <address@hidden> writes:
> Okay, not to criticize your remapping, but just for the sake of
> argument, here's a possible alternative:

How would user customization work?

>> BTW, one reason for why a remapping alist is so nice is that it
>> leverages Emacs' existing infrastructure well.  In particular, the
>> user-related parts like face customization are built around global
>> named faces (even frame-specific faces are not handled well [at all?]
>> by this).
>
> My experience with this infrastructure, using `color-themes' and plenty
> of frames, has been less than stellar.

Well the implementation could certainly be improved, but adding support
for non-global faces certainly won't simplify things!

Making faces more light-weight would be a good thing I think.

[I won't speak to color-themes; afaik, it's a complete disaster.]

-Miles

--
Road, n. A strip of land along which one may pass from where it is too
tiresome to be to where it is futile to go.