Re: bug#327: 23.0.60; make bootstrap fails from CVS

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: bug#327: 23.0.60; make bootstrap fails from CVS
Date: Wed, 28 May 2008 09:15:46 -0500

On Tue, 27 May 2008 19:35:30 -0400 Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

GM> PS your mail went to the wrong addresses. Rather than:
GM> address@hidden, address@hidden

GM> it went to address@hidden and address@hidden

GM> with a Followup-To: gmane.emacs.devel.

GM> Or at least, the copy I actually ended up reading did (there are often
GM> multiple copies of things flying around these days).

I just used M-x report-emacs-bug so I don't know why it was misdirected.
My followup is set to gmane.emacs.devel because that's how I read
emacs-devel, but I thought GMane would automatically route that
appropriately.

>> I think I see what's going on now. I'm guessing you have /bin/sh
>> pointing to zsh. zsh's echo behaves differently from bash's with
>> regards to these backslash escapes:

bash> echo "ELCFILES = \\\\\\"   ->    ELCFILES = \\\
zsh> echo "ELCFILES = \\\\\\"   ->    ELCFILES = \\

GM> The following ought to work for everyone. Blech.

GM> (Yes, I know I should be using printf rather than echo, but it isn't
GM> used anywhere else in the Emacs Makefiles, so I don't know if I'm
GM> allowed to.)

Maybe /bin/echo would be better?  I don't know the details of what this
does, but it seems pretty gnarly :)  You could even do

echo hhh|tr h '\134'

on ASCII systems.  Anyhow, it's fixed, thanks a lot for looking at it.

Ted