Re: Gnu Emacs and Vista ASLR feature

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs and Vista ASLR feature
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 14:42:23 +0100

Fabrice Popineau wrote:
What kind of problems ? Because actually, it is running ok (Gnus, Slime, whatever) I thought about the ASLR "feature" because it stops working after a reboot.
Which is kind of strange.

It is strange that Emacs works the first time. The problems that using msvcrt.dll directly causes are to do with Emacs defining its own implementation of malloc (in gmalloc.c), and the way Windows separates DLLs into their own process space, so they do not share any application overridden standard library functions. Apparently in the startup code supplied by MSVC 2005 (at least), a non-standard malloc related function was called during heap initialization which we do not override, causing the function in the DLL to be called, but because prior calls to malloc related initialization had been handled by Emacs own malloc implementation, the DLL's heap was not in a state where it was ready for that call, and crashed.