Re: Specifiers

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: Specifiers
Date: Thu, 29 May 2008 22:21:46 -0400

>     - what should (setq var val) do?
>       currently is magically uses either the global or the current-buffer
>       locus depending on whether the variable is already buffer-local.
>       but if it's buffer-local and frame-local, which setting should
>       be changed?

>     - how does it interact with make-variable-buffer-local?
>       I.e. if a variable is just window-local and you do (setq var val), is
>       it going to be made buffer-local?

>     - what about `let'?  This one is really fun!

> All these issues arise already with the current features,

Yes, pretty much, except we don't have to worry about combinations of
buffer-local with other forms of foo-local at the same time (well,
supposedly we have to worry about it for buffer-local + frame-local,
but we already know we don't handle that correctly).

> and won't get any worse with the proposed new feature.

Try it.

> ISTR that there is already code in specbind to try to DTRT
> for some of these.

Yes, there's already a fair bit of code trying to get things to work
right for buffer-local variables (in specbind and a bunch of other
places).  It's already pretty complex just like that.

        Stefan