Re: window groups

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: window groups
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 09:58:53 -0400

>> Could you contrast your proposal with Joakim's `group' window parameter?
> AFAIK Joakim leaves the responsibility to set the group parameter to the
> application (ECB).

I'm not sure I understand what you mean here.  AFAICT, Joakim's proposal
requires the application to (set-window-parameter WIN 'group GID) to
create the group, but after that, I'd expect this parameter to
be inherited (tho I don't know whether that's implemented or even if he
intend(s|ed) to do that).  So that'd be similar to your proposal,
wouldn't it?

> The situation becomes much more complicated when groups may comprise
> arbitrary windows of a frame - just think of cloning such a group.

That's a good point.  Joakim's approach makes it difficult (or even
impossible?) to take a group and turn it into a window-configuration, or
to take a window-configuration and apply it to a group.

BTW: why is it that we do not expose internal windows to Elisp?

> More problems will arise as soon as two different applications will
> attempt to manage their private groups simultaneously in the same
> Emacs session.

Like...?

        Stefan