Re: Mail that shuld not be sent here

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: Mail that shuld not be sent here
Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 17:54:02 +0100

On Fri, 30 May 2008, Richard M Stallman wrote:
> Here are some examples of the sort of message which the bug tracker
> is sending to emacs-devel or bug-gnu-emacs. I think it should be
> fixed to stop sending these messages to those lists.

The first corresponds to the bug actually being closed; it isn't a
canned mail, but the concatenation of the original report, the message
that caused the bug to be closed, and an expanatory text that says
what has been done.

> Your message dated Thu, 29 May 2008 19:13:02 -0400
> with message-id <address@hidden>
> and subject line Re: Testing debbugs setup -- please ignore
> has caused the Emacs bug report #210,
> regarding Testing debbugs setup -- please ignore
> to be marked as done.

[...]

> This is a test message. Kindly ignore it please. Thanks!

[...]

> close test bug.

[...]

The second message is the ack from the control bot, which is the only
way you'd know whether or not this bug had been closed, marked
wontfix, reopened, unarchived, etc.

> Processing commands for address@hidden:
>
> > tag 302 wontfix
> bug#302: compilation problems on mac os x
> There were no tags set.
> Tags added: wontfix

All of these can be easily excluded using procmail or similar by
filtering out messages with X-Emacs-Pr-Message: closed and

However, in my experience, they're all information that people
involved in tracking bugs really want to know about, which is why
they're sent out by default, and why I suggest keeping them on the
same mailing list as the other messages.

Don Armstrong

1: FE:
:0:
/dev/null
--
"There's no problem so large it can't be solved by killing the user
off, deleting their files, closing their account and reporting their