Re: window groups

From: martin rudalics
Subject: Re: window groups
Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 11:10:51 +0200

> It does not HAVE to store anything.  (The number doesn't store
> anything.)  Its function is to be unique.  But there is probably
> something useful that could be put in it.

I lost you here.  Do you mean the car of that cons cell should get the
integer I generate and the cdr be left to the caller's disposition?
Group numbers are used for (1) uniquely identifying groups and (2) for
internal bookkeeping.  The user is _not_ allowed to manipulate them.
Anything else would permit a user to make one group pretend the identity
of another by simply assigning it the same id.  I suppose that an
application that wants to keep track of groups can simply define its own
alist mapping Emacs generated numbers to whatever they want.