Re: face-remapping patch

From: Richard M Stallman
Subject: Re: face-remapping patch
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2008 10:03:35 -0400

    Being able to define different parameters for different display types,
    for example.  We have this for face definitions already.

    Try
    M-x customize-face RET highlight RET

    then click on "State/For all kinds of displays".  You get what amounts
    to a specifier of different faces that are "not yet" established.

Ok, I see what you mean.

Are there variables for which that would be a useful thing to do?
Looking at some use cases, maybe we can identify what features
would actually be useful.

    x-local variables seem less scary, but you can't use them (like in
    customizations) before the locale x even exists.

In fact, we do have such a feature for buffer-local variable bindings:
major modes, and their mode hooks.

Is there another kind of use case where we would like to be able
to specify some kind of binding values for some kind of context
in advance?