Re: face-remapping-alist client code

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: face-remapping-alist client code
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:28:32 +0200

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> "Juanma Barranquero" <address@hidden> writes:
>>  - the variables `text-scale-mode-lighter',
>> `text-scale-mode-remapping', `text-scale-mode-amount' and
>> `variable-pitch-mode-remapping' would  make more sense as
>> automatically buffer local, as they are always buffer-local'ized when
>> used.
>
> I somehow got the impression that make-variable-buffer-local was
> frowned upon.  Dunno if it's true.

It depends.  If a global value or at least default makes sense of its
own, I'd not use make-variable-buffer-local.  For values that carry
information that only ever makes sense tied to a buffer, I'd use it.

This probably implies that it makes more sense with defvar rather than
with defcustom.

Don't know whether there is a general policy here.

--
David Kastrup