Re: 23.0.60; emacs-report-bug fails silently

From: Reiner Steib
Subject: Re: 23.0.60; emacs-report-bug fails silently
Date: Mon, 02 Jun 2008 20:56:41 +0200

On Mon, Jun 02 2008, Paul R wrote:

> Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:
>> We definitely have a problem in this respect.  Traditionally on Unix,
>> sending mail is done via the /usr/sbin/sendmail program, but nowadays
>> it's very common to have such programs completely misconfigured.
>> It's fundamentally a bug in the distributions, I believe, but it's not
>> one that we can expect to see fixed any time soon, so we're going to
>> have to deal with it.
>
> I can't find what prevents us from using sendmail.el, with a default
> bug-report configuration, i.e. a preconfigured smtp server allowing
> bug reports.

[So you mean `smtpmail.el'?]  AFAIK many (corporate) firewall
configurations (and ISPs) won't allow outgoing connections from
clients on port 25.

Instead of this, we should better work on a simple web based bug
submission form which can be sent to the bugtracker via Emacs' url
library (or emacs-w3m?).

Bye, Reiner.
--
       ,,,