Re: Gnu Emacs and Vista ASLR feature

From: John S. Yates, Jr.
Subject: Re: Gnu Emacs and Vista ASLR feature
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 09:52:16 -0400

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 10:27:12 -0400, you wrote:

>> I miss XEmacs' help exploration.  It was available at some point in the past
>> on gnu Emacs as hapropos, short I believe for hyper-apropos.
>
>If you explain in what way it differs from Emacs's default `apropos',
>maybe we can add the corresponding functionality.

From xemacs 24.1.24 here is the ^H-m help and the response to ^H-a "forward".

The key virtue is columnar layout which is visually easier to parse and
faster to navigate.  My final sample shows that gnu emacs does not eschew
long lines.

Subjectively I would say that the one line description at the right edge
of the xemacs output is the least important portion of the display. The
succinctly tabulated properties and columnar arrangement of names makes
spotting naming patterns easier, which in turn helps me either to skip
over entire grouping quickly or to zero-in on those that seem promising.

I also appreciate the ability to narrow the search, though it would be
even nicer if undo were provided.

/john

---- xemacs ----

Hyper-Apropos mode:
Improved apropos mode for displaying Emacs documentation.  Function and
variable names are displayed in the buffer "*Hyper Apropos*".

Functions are preceded by a single character to indicates their types:
    a = autoloaded, b = byte-compiled, i = internal, l = lambda, m = macro.
Interactive functions are also preceded by an asterisk.
Variables are preceded by an asterisk if they are user variables.

General Commands:

        SPC     - scroll documentation or apropos window forward
          b     - scroll documentation or apropos window backward
          k     - eliminate all hits that don't contain keyword
          n     - new search
          /     - isearch-forward
          q     - quit and restore previous window configuration

  Operations for Symbol on Current Line:

        RET     - toggle display of symbol's documentation
                  (also on button2 in xemacs)
          w     - show the keybinding if symbol is a command
          i     - invoke function on current line
          s     - set value of variable on current line
          t     - display the C or lisp source (find-tag)

---- gnu emacs ----

Apropos mode:
Major mode for following hyperlinks in output of apropos commands.

key             binding
---             -------

TAB             forward-button
RET             apropos-follow
  (that binding is currently shadowed by another mode)
ESC             Prefix Command
SPC             scroll-up
q               quit-window
DEL             scroll-down
<backtab>       backward-button

M-TAB           backward-button

---- xemacs ----

Apropos search for: "forward"

* = command (M-x) or user-variable.
a = autoloaded, b = byte-compiled, i = internal, l = lambda, m = macro.

Functions and Macros:

b* backward-or-forward-delete-char - Delete either one character backwards or
one character forwards.
b* backward-or-forward-kill-sentence - Delete either one sentence backwards or
one sentence forwards.
b* backward-or-forward-kill-sexp  - Delete either one sexpr backwards or one
sexpr forwards.
b* backward-or-forward-kill-word  - Delete either one word backwards or one
word forwards.
a* cyclebuffer-forward            - Cycle buffer forward.
b  delete-forward-p
b  fill-move-forward-to-break-point
b* forward-block-of-lines         - Move forward by one "block" of lines.
i* forward-char                   - Move point right COUNT characters (left if
COUNT is negative).
b* forward-char-command           - Move point right ARG characters (left if
ARG negative) in BUFFER.
i  forward-comment                - Move forward across up to COUNT comments,
or backwards if COUNT is negative.
i* forward-line                   - Move COUNT lines forward (backward if COUNT
is negative).
b* forward-list                   - Move forward across one balanced group of
parentheses.
b* forward-page                   - Move forward to page boundary.  With arg,
repeat, or go back if negative.
b* forward-paragraph              - Move forward to end of paragraph.
b* forward-sentence               - Move forward to next `sentence-end'.  With
argument, repeat.
b* forward-sexp                   - Move forward across one balanced expression
(sexp).
a  forward-thing                  - Move forward to the end of the next THING.
b* forward-to-indentation         - Move forward COUNT lines and position at
first nonblank character.
i* forward-word                   - Move point forward COUNT words (backward if
COUNT is negative).
a* ibuffer-forward-next-marked    - Move forward by COUNT marked buffers
(default 1).
b* isearch-forward                - Do incremental search forward.
b* isearch-forward-exit-minibuffer
b* isearch-forward-regexp         - Do incremental search forward for regular
expression.
b* isearch-repeat-forward         - Repeat incremental search forwards.
b  kill-forward-chars
a* message-forward                - Forward the current message via mail.
a  message-forward-make-body
a  message-forward-rmail-make-body
a* paren-forward-sexp             - Acts like forward-sexp but can also handle
quoted parens. Look at
i* posix-search-forward           - Search forward from point for regular
expression REGEXP.
i* re-search-forward              - Search forward from point for regular
expression REGEXP.
i* search-forward                 - Search forward from point for STRING.
i* search-forward-regexp          - Search forward from point for regular
expression REGEXP.
a* senator-re-search-forward      - Search in tag names forward from point for
regular expression REGEXP.
a* senator-search-forward         - Search in tag names forward from point for
STRING.
a* senator-word-search-forward    - Search in tag names forward from point for
WORD.
i  skip-chars-forward             - Move point forward, stopping before a char
not in STRING, or at pos LIMIT.
i  skip-syntax-forward            - Move point forward across chars in
specified syntax classes.
b* speedbar-forward-list          - Move forward over the current list.
a* tabbar-forward                 - Select the next available tab.
a* tabbar-forward-group           - Go to selected tab in the next available
group.
a* tabbar-forward-tab             - Select the next visible tab.
a* table-forward-cell             - Move point forward to the beginning of the
next cell.
b* widget-forward                 - Move point to the next field or button.
i* word-search-forward            - Search forward from point for STRING,
ignoring differences in punctuation.
a* xwem-forward-application       - Select ARGs next application.

Variables and Constants:

   byte-forward-char
   byte-forward-line
   byte-forward-word
   byte-skip-chars-forward
 * delete-key-deletes-forward     - If non-nil, the DEL key will erase one
character forwards.
 * forward-word-regexp            - Regular expression to be used in
`forward-word'.
   isearch-forward
   isearch-new-forward

---- gnu emacs ----

If moving the mouse over text changes the text's color, you can click
mouse-2 (second button from right) on that text to get more information.
In this buffer, go to the name of the command, or function, or variable,
and type RET to get full documentation.

View-revert-buffer-scroll-page-forward M-x ... RET
  Command: Scroll forward, reverting buffer if needed, in View mode.
View-scroll-half-page-forward M-x ... RET
  Command: Scroll forward a "half page" (or prefix LINES) lines in View mode.
View-scroll-line-forward      M-x ... RET
  Command: Scroll forward one line (or prefix LINES lines) in View mode.
View-scroll-page-forward      M-x ... RET
  Command: Scroll "page size" or prefix LINES lines forward in View mode.
View-scroll-page-forward-set-page-size M-x ... RET
  Command: Scroll forward LINES lines in View mode, setting the "page size".
View-search-last-regexp-forward M-x ... RET
  Command: Search forward for first (or prefix Nth) instance of last regexp in
View mode.
View-search-regexp-forward    M-x ... RET
  Command: Search forward for first (or prefix Nth) occurrence of REGEXP in
View mode.
c-electric-delete-forward     M-x ... RET
  Command: Delete the following character or whitespace.
c-forward-conditional         M-x ... RET
  Command: Move forward across a preprocessor conditional, leaving mark behind.
c-forward-into-nomenclature   M-x ... RET
  Command: Compatibility alias for `c-forward-subword'.
c-hungry-delete-forward       M-x ... RET
  Command: Delete the following character or all following whitespace
cyclebuffer-forward           M-x ... RET
  Command: Cycle buffer forward.
ebrowse-forward-in-position-stack M-x ... RET
  Command: Move forward in the position stack.
forward-button                M-x ... RET
  Command: Move to the Nth next button, or Nth previous button if N is negative.
forward-char                  M-o <right>, M-o C-f, <right>, C-f
  Command: Move point right N characters (left if N is negative).
forward-line                  M-x ... RET
  Command: Move N lines forward (backward if N is negative).
forward-list                  M-o C-M-n, C-M-n
  Command: Move forward across one balanced group of parentheses.
forward-page                  M-o C-x ], C-x ]
  Command: Move forward to page boundary.  With arg, repeat, or go back if
negative.
forward-paragraph             M-o M-}, M-o <C-down>, M-}, <C-down>
  Command: Move forward to end of paragraph.
forward-sentence              M-o M-e, M-e
  Command: Move forward to next `sentence-end'.  With argument, repeat.
forward-sexp                  M-o ESC <C-right>, M-o C-M-f, M-o <C-M-right>,
ESC <C-right>, C-M-f, <C-M-right>
  Command: Move forward across one balanced expression (sexp).
forward-to-indentation        M-x ... RET
  Command: Move forward ARG lines and position at first nonblank character.
forward-word                  M-o ESC <right>, M-o M-f, M-o <M-right>, M-o
<C-right>, ESC <right>, M-f, <M-right>, <C-right>
  Command: Move point forward ARG words (backward if ARG is negative).
ibuffer-forward-filter-group  M-x ... RET
  Command: Move point forwards by COUNT filtering groups.
ibuffer-forward-next-marked   M-x ... RET
  Command: Move forward by COUNT marked buffers (default 1).
ido-magic-forward-char        M-x ... RET
  Command: Move forward in user input or perform magic action.
isearch-forward               M-o <menu-bar> <edit> <search> <i-search>
<isearch-forward>, <menu-bar> <edit> <search> <i-search> <isearch-forward>, M-o
C-s, C-s
  Command: Do incremental search forward.
isearch-forward-exit-minibuffer M-x ... RET
  Command: (not documented)
isearch-forward-regexp        M-o <menu-bar> <edit> <search> <i-search>
<isearch-forward-regexp>, <menu-bar> <edit> <search> <i-search>
<isearch-forward-regexp>, M-o C-M-s, C-M-s
  Command: Do incremental search forward for regular expression.
isearch-repeat-forward        M-x ... RET
  Command: Repeat incremental search forwards.
message-forward               M-x ... RET
  Command: Forward the current message via mail.
nonincremental-re-search-forward M-o <menu-bar> <edit> <search>
<re-search-forward>, <menu-bar> <edit> <search> <re-search-forward>
  Command: Read a regular expression and search for it nonincrementally.
nonincremental-repeat-search-forward M-o <menu-bar> <edit> <search>
<repeat-search-fwd>, <menu-bar> <edit> <search> <repeat-search-fwd>
  Command: Search forward for the previous search string or regexp.
nonincremental-search-forward M-o <menu-bar> <edit> <search> <search-forward>,
<menu-bar> <edit> <search> <search-forward>
  Command: Read a string and search for it nonincrementally.
posix-search-forward          M-x ... RET
  Command: Search forward from point for regular expression REGEXP.
re-search-forward             M-x ... RET
  Command: Search forward from point for regular expression REGEXP.
search-forward                M-o <find>, <find>
  Command: Search forward from point for STRING.
search-forward-regexp         M-x ... RET
  Command: Search forward from point for regular expression REGEXP.
senator-re-search-forward     M-x ... RET
  Command: Search in tag names forward from point for regular expression REGEXP.
senator-search-forward        M-x ... RET
  Command: Search in tag names forward from point for STRING.
senator-word-search-forward   M-x ... RET
  Command: Search in tag names forward from point for WORD.
speedbar-forward-list         M-x ... RET
  Command: Move forward over the current list.
tabbar-forward                M-x ... RET
  Command: Select the next available tab.
tabbar-forward-group          M-x ... RET
  Command: Go to selected tab in the next available group.
tabbar-forward-tab            M-x ... RET
  Command: Select the next visible tab.
table-forward-cell            M-x ... RET
  Command: Move point forward to the beginning of the next cell.
unforward-rmail-message       M-x ... RET
  Command: Extract a forwarded message from the containing message.
widget-forward                M-x ... RET
  Command: Move point to the next field or button.
word-search-forward           M-x ... RET
  Command: Search forward from point for STRING, ignoring differences in
punctuation.