Re: bug#327: 23.0.60; make bootstrap fails from CVS

From: Ted Zlatanov
Subject: Re: bug#327: 23.0.60; make bootstrap fails from CVS
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 12:18:53 -0500

On Mon, 02 Jun 2008 17:16:13 -0400 Glenn Morris <address@hidden> wrote:

GM> Ted Zlatanov wrote:
>> Attaching the full log.  It complains ../src/emacs doesn't exist and it
>> doesn't.

GM> I was kind of assuming you would put a working src/emacs in place
GM> before trying the small Makefile, which was only intended to test the
GM> bit of the build that was failing for you...

GM> So you could try that, or you could build Emacs normally with `make
GM> -d', and compare the output for abbrev.elc and calc/calc-aent.elc to
GM> see why the former works and the latter does not. (I imagine the full
GM> output is too enormous to post here).

The XXX Makefile works and compiles calc-aent.el as expected.  FWIW, it
also works with `make -f XXX compile-main EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs'
but I didn't know that at the time.

I notice the compilation fails for the first file in a subdirectory.  If
I remove calc/calc-aent.elc from the ELCFILES list, for example,
calc/calc-alg.elc is the next problem.  Maybe that's a hint?

I am attaching my generated lisp/Makefile and the output of

cd lisp
make -d -w bootstrap EMACS=../src/bootstrap-emacs

which fails consistently, and is called by the `make bootstrap' process,
so I assume it's the problem command.  Make considers the right .el file
but for some reason gives up on it.

Ted