Re: bootstrap compiles C files twice

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap compiles C files twice
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 06:15:22 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2008 18:18:54 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > See my remarks above about overflowing the pure storage while building
> > bootstrap-emacs.  I'd advise to understand that issue and its
> > implications first, before we eliminate the second compilation.  But
> > that's me.
>
> I don't understand what your point is.

I have no point.  I was saying that if I needed to decide whether to
eliminate the second round of compilation, I'd first want to
understand why was the -DPURESIZE= option removed from src/Makefile.in
during the first compilation, even though the produced bootstrap-emacs
loads Lisp files in source form, which uses more pure space.  Without
a clear understanding of that, I couldn't be sure why -DPURESIZE= was
removed, but the second compilation wasn't.  Maybe it was just by
omission, but maybe it wasn't.

> I can see that in makefile.w32-in, you use a different PURESPACE
> option to build bootstrap-temacs; but as I said, this has not been
> true for six years in Makefile.in. I have no interest in making any
> changes to makefile.w32-in. Perhaps you mean Makefile.in might have
> been doing it wrong for six years?

No, I meant that perhaps Makefile.in was doing for six years two
compilations for a good reason.

> The cross-compile argument would make sense to me, but Dan says it
> doesn't work anyway.

It never did.  It would be nice to have that, but that would be a
different project, and I didn't mean that.