Re: vc-status vs pcl-cvs

From: Dan Nicolaescu
Subject: Re: vc-status vs pcl-cvs
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 10:54:34 -0700

Stefan Monnier <address@hidden> writes:

  > >> vc-dir always needs the repository (even when vc-stay-local is t),
  >
  > > This would need to be implemented in specific backends (only CVS and svn
  > > care about it).  And it's rather easy: in vc-*-dir-status can use
  > > something like vc-rcs-dir-status.  Patches are welcome.
  > > (IMHO this is not very useful, but if people want it...)
  >
  > I disagree.  The "stay-local" should be the default.  It is tremendously
  > useful (think of the case where you're not connected to your
  > repository).  The non-stay-local behavior is the one whose usefulness is
  > debatable (after all, most new VCS don't bother offering a clean
  > equivalent).

So that means you'd want vc-dir to work differently by default than
cvs-status?  That would be surprising for most users.
In the case of being disconnected, vc-dir can only show you the file
states, if they are edited or not, you can't do diff/log/annotate/commit
etc.  That's the reason I think it's not very useful.

Now, to implement this stuff vc-cvs-dir-status just needs to be changed
to do
(if vc-cvs-stay-local-p
    THE_CODE_FROM-vc-rcs-dir-status
  THE_CURRENT_CODE)

(vc-rcs-dir-status has issues as noted in the comments and in the vc.el:Todo)