Re: vc-status vs pcl-cvs

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: vc-status vs pcl-cvs
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 2008 21:53:42 -0400

> So that means you'd want vc-dir to work differently by default than
> cvs-status?

Of course.  `cvs-examine' and `cvs-status' are there only for
historical reasons.  *THE* entry point to PCL-CVS is cvs-quickdir.

> That would be surprising for most users.  In the case of being
> disconnected, vc-dir can only show you the file states, if they are
> edited or not,

Which is indeed all the info you'll ever get from all other VCSes.
Their `vc-dir' command will never tell you "needs-update" either.

> you can't do diff/log/annotate/commit etc.

That's a limitation of the underlying backend.  Not much we can do about it.

> That's the reason I think it's not very useful.

> Now, to implement this stuff vc-cvs-dir-status just needs to be changed
> to do
> (if vc-cvs-stay-local-p
>     THE_CODE_FROM-vc-rcs-dir-status
>   THE_CURRENT_CODE)

Actually it might be better off using cvs-fileinfo-from-entries.
The only shortcoming of cvs-fileinfo-from-entries is that it won't show
you the "unknown" files (files that are neither ignored nor under CVS
control).

        Stefan