Re: Longlines mode in menu

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Longlines mode in menu
Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 08:50:53 -0400

Miles Bader <address@hidden> writes:

> Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:
>> Someone just suggested to me that Longlines mode should have an entry in
>> the Options menu of the menu-bar.  This seems reasonable to me: new
>> users are likely to come across situations where Longlines mode is
>> necessary, but not know of its existence.  Windows notepad has had such
>> an item in its menu for a while.
>
> Is longlines-mode more or less guaranteed to restore the buffer contents
> properly when being disabled?  [I vaguely recall problems with
> longlines-mode occassionally trashing the buffer in the past, but a long
> time ago.]

I know of only one failure case (reported by you, IIRC): in text
containing no spaces like Japanese, extra spaces might be inserted in
some circumstances.  Longlines does exactly the same thing here as
auto-fill-mode.

As far as I know, no one else has reported that problem.  But I'll take
another look at it.