Re: tab widths with a remapped default face

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: tab widths with a remapped default face
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 03:53:59 -0400

> Using the TAB face for tab-width calculation seems much likely to
> preserve the local integrity of indentation (using the default face
> means that mixed space and tab indentation will often not be the same as
> space-only indentation).  It seems a bit more intuitive to me as well.

> However, if there is a significant case where using the default face for
> calculations is better, it would be good to know it, but it seems a bit
> silly to make decisions based on vague recollections.

I think the issue was vertical alignment of elements on different lines,
using different faces.   E.g. a first (header) line in one face,
followed by various lines in some other face.

OTOH, you can usually add a `default' face to the TABs to impose the use
of a uniform tab size, so maybe it's not a real problem.
Maybe Gerd remembers?

        Stefan