Re: bootstrap compiles C files twice

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: bootstrap compiles C files twice
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 12:39:32 +0300

> From: Glenn Morris <address@hidden>
> Cc: address@hidden,  address@hidden
> Date: Thu, 05 Jun 2008 15:29:56 -0400
>
> Eli Zaretskii wrote:
>
> > I meant to say that there might be a good reason for compiling the
> > sources twice, and that understanding how and why did we get rid of
> > the -DPURESIZE= switch on the first of these two compilations might
> > help us understand that good reason, or realize that there isn't
> > one.
>
> I can't imagine that you mean there's a reason to do two identical
> compilations

An identical compiler command line does not necessarily mean an
identical object file, if, for example, the source file includes
something that was changed in between.

Anyway, now you know what I meant; time for me to stop talking and for
you to make a decision.

> The fact that dumping bootstrap-emacs reports: 109423 pure bytes used

As Stefan pointed out, that number should not be used as a measure of
how large should the pure[] array be, since bootstrap-emacs overflows
the pure space (on Posix platforms) and uses malloc'ed space instead.