Re: Font settings ignored on new frames

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Font settings ignored on new frames
Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2008 14:16:36 -0400

Kenichi Handa wrote:

> I was almost lost in the labyrinth of codes to set the
> default face attributes, but I at least found this prolem:
>
> With Emacs 23 (pre-unicode-merge and the trunk),
>   (custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:family "courier")))))
> instantly change the current frame to use courier, but
>   (face-attribute 'default :family t)
> returns `unspecified'.
>
> On the other hand, with Emacs 22,
>   (custom-set-faces '(default ((t (:family "courier")))))
> doesn't change the current frame, and
>   (face-attribute 'default :family t)
> returns "courier".

I don't know if this is relevant to this particular issue, but rms
made some changes to this face-related stuff in the trunk:

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-03/msg00120.html

   A few months ago I made an effort to clean up the relationship between
   face atttributes and customization...