Re: tab widths with a remapped default face

From: Gerd Möllmann
Subject: Re: tab widths with a remapped default face
Date: Fri, 6 Jun 2008 21:34:15 +0200

On 06.06.2008, at 09:53, Stefan Monnier wrote:

Using the TAB face for tab-width calculation seems much likely to
preserve the local integrity of indentation (using the default face
means that mixed space and tab indentation will often not be the same as space-only indentation). It seems a bit more intuitive to me as well.

However, if there is a significant case where using the default face for calculations is better, it would be good to know it, but it seems a bit
silly to make decisions based on vague recollections.

I think the issue was vertical alignment of elements on different lines,
using different faces.   E.g. a first (header) line in one face,
followed by various lines in some other face.

OTOH, you can usually add a `default' face to the TABs to impose the use
of a uniform tab size, so maybe it's not a real problem.
Maybe Gerd remembers?

I'm afraid I don't remember that. Maybe I thought it was more compatible
with how previous Emacs versions worked.