Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 52, Issue 61

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Emacs-devel Digest, Vol 52, Issue 61
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 14:14:52 +0000

Hi, Eric!

On Sat, Jun 07, 2008 at 09:20:37AM -0400, Eric S. Raymond wrote:

> > > Sorry, but it's hopelessly unrealistic to request that.  Given the
> > > number of different platforms we support, it is impractical even to
> > > request that any given change will compile on all of them, let
> > > alone build without a hitch.

> > OK.  I have an utterly standard, if somewhat old, GNU/Linux box, probably
> > the most popular setup.  I think it's reasonable to expect the trunk to
> > build on my box nearly all the time.  Possibly on w32, too.

> I agree with this complaint, and I'm getting extremely frustrated.  I
> have been unable to work on vc.el for about *two weeks* now because the
> recommended "make maintainer-clean; configure; make bootstrap"
> consistently fails with this:

> make[3]: *** No rule to make target
> `/home/esr/cvs/emacs/lisp/nxml/nxml-enc.elc', needed by `compile-main'.  Stop.

This is precisely "my" error message too.  I've had a wee look at it, and
my directory tree doesn't have the directory nxml, despite my just having
done a `cvs update'.  nxml is a new directory in the Emacs trunk (?about
4 weeks old?).  Shouldn't `cvs update' download this new directory?

[`cvs --version' gives: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.9
(client/server)]

> This is on stock Ubuntu 8.04.  Whoever said expecting builds in CVS to
> work consistently was "hopelessly unrealistic" is simply revealing that
> the Emacs system is broken as designed.  Maybe this is a *reason* we
> have so few developers?

That thought had occurred to me too.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).