Re: Patch to INSTALL.CVS to clarify why `make bootstrap' sometimes fails

From: Stephen J. Turnbull
Subject: Re: Patch to INSTALL.CVS to clarify why `make bootstrap' sometimes fails.
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 14:38:54 +0900

Stefan Monnier writes:

 > David> Anyway, maintainer-clean does too much: it kills the record
 > David> of how I ran configure the last time.
 >
 > > The "configure" for Subversion creates a file called "config.nice" which
 > > contains the command line with which you invoked "configure", for just
 > > that reason.
 >
 > Odd!  Isn't "./config.status --recheck" the standard way to do that?

It is.  But like most things in autotools, you cannot rely on it.
Specifically, it may not do exactly the same thing that calling
configure directly does.

Also, config.status is a generated file and the standards say to
remove it.  I think that's plausible.  config.nice is arguably not a
generated file, it's a user-created script, which should not be
removed according to that standard.