Re: Preprocessor defines in MS-Windows build

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Preprocessor defines in MS-Windows build
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 09:36:16 +0300

> From: =?iso-8859-1?Q?=D3scar_Fuentes?= <address@hidden>
> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 01:53:29 +0200
>
> Jason Rumney <address@hidden> writes:
>
> > Eli Zaretskii wrote:
> >>  _X86_               -- not needed, defined automatically by MinGW
> >>                         headers
> >>  i386                -- not needed
> >>

> > They may not be needed for a mingw build, but do the msvc headers also
> > define them?
>
> I quick check for VC6 does not find i386. _X86_ is in WINDOWS.H

Sorry, I don't see any significance of this for MSVC.  Jason, are you
saying that compiling _any_ program with cl, the MS compiler,
_requires_ the -Di386 and -D_X86_ switches?  I don't think so.  If
not, then why do we need to tell cl it is compiling an x86 program? it
should know that by default.

Can someone with MSVC please see if removing these two switches causes
any trouble?

> >>  USE_CRT_DLL         -- looks like it's unneeded, since we never use
> >>                         anything but the CRTDLL.dll runtime
> >
> > I think there was at least an experimental attempt many years ago to
> > use MSVCRT.dll with the msvc compiler, and if we are ever to get more
> > recent versions of msvc working again it will be necessary to keep
> > this around.
>
> CRTDLL.dll (?) is not on the list of loaded dll's for an Emacs
> process. MSVCRT.dll is.

Yes, so what do we need USE_CRT_DLL for, again?