Re: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 20:21:08 +0100

Drew Adams wrote:

So I guess you are saying that this change was intentional, not accidental (not
a bug).

No discussion here (AFAICT)? How do such "experiments" get implemented without
any proposal and discussion?

I proposed the change on emacs-devel on April 26th 2008 and Stefan gave it the go-ahead:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg01877.html

This changes long-standing standard Emacs behavior. It should be reverted.

Well, that's a matter of opinion. The default value of `completion- ignore-case' is nil for all other systems bar MS-Windows. I agree with you that buffer names are another case, in addition to filenames, where MS-Windows systems should do case-insensitive completion. I think that Emacs on MS-Windows has historically had an exceptional default value of t for `completion-ignore-case' precisely to handle filename and buffer name completion and that its effect on other completions was largely coincidental. I would like to avoid all completion being case-insensitive on MS-Windows.