Re: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now

From: Óscar Fuentes
Subject: Re: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 23:01:40 +0200

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> > No discussion here (AFAICT)? How do such "experiments" get
>> > implemented without any proposal and discussion?
>>
>> I proposed the change on emacs-devel on April 26th 2008 and Stefan
>> gave it the go-ahead:
>> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-devel/2008-04/msg01877.html
>
> Sorry, I didn't notice it. I remember reading that, but I didn't grasp the
> consequences.

Same here.

[snip]

>> I agree with you that buffer names are another case, in addition
>> to filenames, where MS-Windows systems should do case-insensitive
>> completion.
>
> Actually, I think that buffer-name completion and file-name completion
> should be treated independently, regardless of the platform.

I differ. For an Emacs hacker, `buffer' and `file' are clearly distinct
concepts, but for your average newbie a buffer is just the place where
you edit the file. For him, the name of the buffer is just the file
name, and he expects to refer to it the same way he refers to files. If
he is accustomed to a case-insensitive file system, having to think
about the case of the buffer name is an annoyance.

> I think that users should be able to configure their preference for
> buffer-name completion, just as they can for file-name completion.

Right, and I would add that the defaults should adapt to user
expectations on each platform, if possible.

[snip]

--
Oscar