Re: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: buffer name completion is case-sensitive now
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 2008 22:21:28 +0100

On 8 Jun 2008, at 20:53, Drew Adams wrote:

I said:

I think we should add a user option for this, similar to
`read-file-name-completion-ignore-case':
`buffer-name-completion-ignore-case'.

Implementation of respect for such an option would likely be limited to
`read-buffer' and `interactive' buffer specs ("B" and "b").

Unlike the case for `read-file-name' and
`read-file-name-completion-ignore-case', it is impossible for `completing-read' to reliably determine whether its completion candidates are (all) buffer names.

Hm. I guess people should call `read-buffer' when they want a buffer name and frob `read-buffer-function' to change its behaviour. I'll propose a simple `read-buffer-completion-ignore-case' change in a minute.