Re: Fixed-pitch and variable-pitch faces

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Fixed-pitch and variable-pitch faces
Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 21:29:57 -0400

Kenichi Handa <address@hidden> writes:

> In article <address@hidden>, James Cloos <address@hidden> writes:
> [...]
>> The complication, of course, is when multiple font backends are in use.
>> I run with just xft.  If you have x,xft then it is probably right for
>> the Helvetica bitmap to win out.  If xft,x then that might be debatable:
>> whether 'tis better to give primary weight to the name or to the technology?
>
> FYI, the current font-selection code doesn't pay attention
> to the order of font backends.

I guess we can worry about this problem after making the fontconfig
backend recognize the necessary mappings, which it currently does not.
(For example, (list-fonts (font-spec :family "courier")) returns only
x-backend fonts.)  Do you know how to do that?

If performing the mappings is non-trivial (e.g., if we have to manually
parse a file in /etc), maybe it's simpler to abolish the
`variable-pitch' and `fixed-pitch' faces.  I don't think they serve much
of a purpose anyway.