Re: newsticker-*.el files

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: newsticker-*.el files
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 11:06:24 +0300

> From: Dan Nicolaescu <address@hidden>
> Cc: Ulf Jasper <address@hidden>, address@hidden
> Date: Sun, 08 Jun 2008 15:01:04 -0700
>
> Eli Zaretskii <address@hidden> writes:
>
>   > The newly installed newsticker-*.el files cause file-name clashes on
>   > 8+3 (a.k.a. DOS) filesystems.  Can we rename them in a way that avoids
>   > such clashes?  All that is needed that the first 8 characters of the
>   > basename be different; as long as they are, there's no problem for the
>   > basename itself to be longer than 8 characters.
>
> The DOS port currently does not work, it has been approved for removal,
> and you said that it might never be revived.
>
> Why do this work now, when it's highly possible that the uglyfied names
> might never be needed?
>
> Why not do the renaming work at the time when the DOS platform is
> brought back to life?

Why ask these questions time and again, when I already answered them
several times in the past?  Here goes again: I'm asking not to make my
life harder if and when I find time to make the DOS port of Emacs 23
work again.  Doing all of the renames later will make it much harder,
especially since CVS doesn't cope well with renaming; doing it now
doesn't lose any CVS history, and doesn't require contacting all of
the package maintainers at once.

The author agreed (in private email to me) to rename the files when he
has time.  I trust him that the names he comes up with will not be
ugly, because it's his package.  So it's a non-issue, and making it an
issue each time this comes up only eats up more of our resources than
is necessary.

If you indeed cherish so much our resources, why waste them on this
subject time and again?  It almost sounds like you have an agenda
here.  Do you?