Re: Build-time dependencies

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Build-time dependencies
Date: Mon, 09 Jun 2008 14:15:16 -0400

Richard M Stallman wrote:

> Bootstrapping takes a long time on the OLPC.
> I don't like the idea of making bootstrapping an unavoidable
> part of building Emacs.

There have been no changes towards that.

What's being proposed re dependencies is definitely the Right Thing to
do. Personally I view it very much as a wishlist item, but if someone
implements it, great.

It has no influence on _releases_ of Emacs of course. Perhaps people
with slow machines might be better served by the emacs-snapshot
packages provided by some distributions, or by nightly
pre-bootstrapped snapshots on Savannah? But then there are bandwidth
issues I suppose...

A better solution: more frequent releases! :)