use git, not cvs

From: Jim Meyering
Subject: use git, not cvs
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:36:55 +0200

"Eric S. Raymond" <address@hidden> wrote:
> Well, that's one way to put it.  An equally valid analysis would
> be that -d ought to be the default rather than an option I've
> never heard of before, and CVS is broken as designed.

FYI, you can dump cvs and use git instead.
At least for emacs, you *can* do that.
I've been syncing a read-only git mirror to the CVS repository
for many months, so you can "checkout" a copy like this:

    git clone git://git.sv.gnu.org/emacs

The git repository should never be more than about 30-60
minutes behind the CVS one.

Preparing change-sets in git and pushing them back to
the cvs repository is not as painful as you might imagine,
thanks to the "git cvsexportcommit" command.  With a couple
of simple wrapper scripts and a little easy-to-manage local
policy, you might even come to find it "easy".