Re: another font-selection inconsistency

From: Jason Rumney
Subject: Re: another font-selection inconsistency
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 12:40:27 +0100

Miles Bader wrote:
    Then the resulting font _is_ dejavu sans mono, but is not
    anti-aliased.  C-u C-x = says:
    Then the resulting font is _still_ dejavu sans mono, but _is_
    anti-aliased (it's fairly clear it's the same font, just with
    anti-aliasing turned on).  C-u C-x = says:
(3) If I then turn around, and do step (1) again, the font "stays"
    anti-aliased, so clearly some state that set-frame-font changes, but
    set-face-attribute:family:size does not, made a difference...]

A couple of days ago, Kenichi Handa stated that there is currently no priority given to backends. I think fixing this would clear this up. Another thing that might help is making sure that Truetype fonts are not being provided to the xfont backend through your X configuration, but that's a workaround not a solution. Having a consistent priority for backends is also important on Windows, where opentype fonts are provided by both the uniscribe backend (with complex script support and other features) and the gdi backend (with some minor differences in processing for Windows 9x compatibility). My impression before the font-backend branch merge was that there was a consistent priority, even if it was undocumented, but recently there is definitely not.