Re: Why doesn't Info `T' cache node tree for current file?

From: Juri Linkov
Subject: Re: Why doesn't Info `T' cache node tree for current file?
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 03:02:15 +0300

> Anyway, no _need_ to do anything. My thought was that if someone uses `T',
> s?he
> is likely to do so again, and likely with the same file. Since we have gone to
> the trouble of building the node tree (graph), why not save it for possible
> reuse? That's all.

It is not very quick, since the code has to reread all Info subfiles
(its slowest part).  When the delay after typing `T' is more than 1 sec,
this is unbearable for many users.  So we could cache the TOC buffer per
Info file, if this costs us nothing.  I see one problem: how to refresh
the cached TOC buffer when the Info file changes - the usual key `g'
for buffer refreshing is already allocated to `Info-goto-node'.

--
Juri Linkov
http://www.jurta.org/emacs/