RE: Why doesn't Info `T' cache node tree for current file?

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: Why doesn't Info `T' cache node tree for current file?
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 20:18:09 -0700

> I haven't heard any complaint about it, so it looks like those delays
> rarely if ever occur.  And I believe machines are getting faster more
> quickly than manuals are getting larger, so I don't expect reports to
> become much more frequent in the future.
>
> OTOH, such caching might be necessary for Drew's breadcrumbs (a small
> delay is fine for `T' but is problematic if it occurs at every page).

I don't see any performance problem. Can you refer to a specific scenario, so we
can talk concretely if there is really a performance problem?

> > So we could cache the TOC buffer per Info file, if this costs us
> > nothing.  I see one problem: how to refresh the cached TOC
> buffer when
> > the Info file changes - the usual key `g' for buffer refreshing is
> > already allocated to `Info-goto-node'.
>
> The refresh should be 100% automatic by recording the timestamps of
> the files.

See my replies to others. What kind of file changes are we talking about: (a)
change of the file on disk or just (b) change by the user to visit a different
file?

Why would we worry about (a)?
For (b), why wouldn't we just associate the file name with the cache?