Re: bug#21: Scrolling occasionally stops in *compilation*

From: Don Armstrong
Subject: Re: bug#21: Scrolling occasionally stops in *compilation*
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 2008 11:50:31 -0700

On Wed, 11 Jun 2008, Richard M Stallman wrote:
>     Any e-mail sent to address@hidden (where XYZ is
>     the bug number) will be CC-ed to bug-gnu-emacs automatically.
>     This is what Stefan did.
>
> That is a pain in the neck for everyone on bug-gnu-emacs.

In what way?

> It should be cc'd to emacs-bug-tracker instead.

This is an example of a message which would have normally just been
sent to bug-gnu-emacs anyway. Think of address@hidden
as just an alias for bug-gnu-emacs in the case where nnn is a bug is
in the emacs package.

>     It is good that e-mail sent to address@hidden is
>     CC-ed to bug-gnu-emacs automatically. Simply turning this off
>     would be bad.
>
> I don't see anything bad about it.
> Would you like to try to substantiate that statement?

If the messages don't go through the bug tracker before they hit
bug-gnu-emacs, you'd have no clue what bug is being discussed, nor
where to look to see the followup information, and you additionally
have to be subscribed to some other mailing list to get any
information about the bug at all.

We can easily stop sending all messages to bug-gnu-emacs if we want
to, but then no messages would go to bug-gnu-emacs at all, not even
the ones that were originally sent there.

From what I see, the primary issue is one of the bugs not being
threaded properly, which Stefan already raised with me, and is
http://bugs.debian.org/485697

Don Armstrong

--
I leave the show floor, but not before a pack of caffeinated Jolt gum
is thrust at me by a hyperactive girl screaming, "Chew more! Do more!"