Re: Face remapping on mouse menu

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Face remapping on mouse menu
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 11:38:33 -0400

"Drew Adams" <address@hidden> writes:

>> Now that the face-remapping code has been checked in, I'd suggest
>> changing this menu to a "buffer faces" menu.  It should contain a few
>> items that remap the `default' face in the current buffer: an item to
>> increase the face size, an item to decrease the face size, and an
>> item to change the face font.  When fontconfig is available, the
>> latter can use x-popup-dialog to pop up the GTK font selector,
>> instead of relying on x-fixed-font-alist.
>>
>> WDYT?
>
> I don't really follow it, frankly, perhaps because I'm not very
> familiar with the face-remapping code.
>
> Are you suggesting to replace the dialog to choose a font for the
> current frame by a dialog to choose a font for the current buffer? Is
> that essentially what you are suggesting?
>
> Can you please describe the changes you propose more concretely? What
> bindings for what menus, what changes to the existing menus, reasons,
> etc.

The idea is for shift-down-mouse-1 to pop up a context menu something
like this:

 Increase Text Size
 Decrease Text Size
 Change Buffer Font
 Restore Default Text Size

The operations in this menu would affect the text in the current buffer
only, via the face-remapping code.  The "Restore Default Text Size" item
would simply remove the face remapping.

With GTK/Fontconfig, the "Change Buffer Font" item pops up a GTK font
dialog to choose the font for the current buffer.  On Win32, it pops up
a Windows font dialog for the same purpose.  Otherwise, it would be a
submenu containing the old mouse-select-font choices.