Re: Longlines mode in menu

From: Chong Yidong
Subject: Re: Longlines mode in menu
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2008 13:14:20 -0400

Chong Yidong <address@hidden> writes:

>> Internally, they would move to the next paragraph, which is the next
>> line in the underlying file.  That may well be the correct behavior.
>> This is not any different from `truncate-lines' being nil, with the
>> occasional line wrapped.
>>
>> Things like C-n can be changed to actually move to the next line.
>> For Aquamacs I have written code that moves to the next (visible) line
>> and places the cursor as close (horizontally) as possible.  This is
>> also relevant when using variable-width fonts.  I'd be more than happy
>> to contribute that.
>
> In the long run, this approach is definitely the way to go.  The main
> concern is that rebinding the motion commands is a non-trivial change.
> Unless it's unavoidable, I'd prefer not to revisit this issue during the
> current release cycle.  If it's possible to change font-lock to
> understand soft newlines, that might be a better fix for the moment.

However, it may be a good idea to incorporate Kim's patch now, *without*
rebinding any motion commands, and provide it as an alternative value
for `truncate-line'.  This would be useful for editing files with
occasional long lines, e.g. code with long comments.  Editing text that
consists mostly of long lines would be cumbersome, but no worse than
with the current continued/truncated lines system.