Re: Copyright question

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Copyright question
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 09:58:19 +0000

Hi, Richard!

On Fri, Jun 13, 2008 at 12:06:34AM -0400, Richard M Stallman wrote:
> Debian's policy is foolish and unfriendly to us.  So we do not cater to
> it.  If they don't like the results, they should change the policy.

It needs to be pointed out, in all fairness, that the Gnu Free
Documentation License is very controversial, being far from universally
loved by hackers (in contrast to the GPL), and is regarded as suspect by
many good hackers and several Emacs developers.

The reservations stem from the restrictions the GFDL imposes on the
freedom to adapt and reuse documents.  These are much more onerous than
those imposed by the GPL.

Whilst Debian's policy is not friendly towards "us", it is unfair to
brand it as foolish.  It is motivated by the desire to keep documentation
free.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).