RE: breadcrumbs for Info . . . . . .

From: Drew Adams
Subject: RE: breadcrumbs for Info . . . . . .
Date: Fri, 13 Jun 2008 06:55:15 -0700

>    You can think of the breadcrumbs line as part of an extended
>    header area. (And you might even want to remove the Up link
>    from the header now, since it is no longer needed - the
>    breadcrumbs subsume Up.)
>
> To me this says that breadcrumbs should be grafted onto Up,
> rather than being a separate feature.  From user pov, the NEWS
> would not be:
>
>   New Info sub-feature: breadcrumbs [...]

No one suggested that. No one has suggested anything for NEWS, AFAIK.

> but rather:
>
>   New Info sub-feature: Info "Up" extension.  MB3 on the "Up" link
>   now displays a menu which lets you "navigate" (urgh) directly to
>   an ancestor node of the current node.  From the keyboard, there
>   is a new command Info-skip-up, which queries you (w/ completion)
>   for an ancestor node to jump to... [etc.  The idea is that mouse
>   or keyboard eventually do the same thing.]

Whatever. RET on a link works as usual, so mouse and keyboard do the same thing.

> Bias note: personally, i dislike features that use screen space.
> If there is another line taken for breadcrumbs, i will find a way
> to remove it.

I proposed more than once to add a user option for showing breadcrumbs.
Personally, I think it should be optional but on by default. You shouldn't have
to "find a way" to remove it - that should be as easy as customizing an option.

If someone wants to implement it, optionally not showing breadcrumbs could
provide behavior like you describe (MB3 shows a breadcrumbs menu,...). Go for
it.